Sunday, September 4, 2011

Getting error 'Could not update iceauthority file' in ubuntu

After logging in to an Ubuntu an ICEauthority error appeared. 

Solution
Press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get a console. There, I hit Enter to get a login prompt. I logged in with my username and password, and this gave me a regular command prompt. After trying several failed commands, I found the following command on Ubuntuforums.org that helped me to login successfully.

Open a terminal and enter the following command:
sudo chown -R user:user /home/user/.*

Replace user with your username. For example, My username is 'ritesh' so I typed command:
 

sudo chown -R ritesh:ritesh /home/ritesh/.*
After issuing the command, log out and log back in and Ubuntu will be back to normal GUI screen. This error came because of sftp. I installed sftp and assigned my username to use sftp that caused this error to occur. 


Related Links:
- http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1081730&highlight=ICEAuthority&page=2

No comments:

Post a Comment